Tannas Company and King Refrigeration
Tannas Company was founded in 1981 to serve the oil and energy industries. For nearly 40 years, Tannas has been designing and manufacturing innovative bench-top laboratory instruments for routine quality control testing and advancing the research & development of engine oils, lubricants, and related materials. King Refrigeration, Inc. specializes in low-temperature laboratory instruments for routine and research testing of engine oils, lubricants, and related fluids. Products are developed using proven techniques that allow for simple to use, reliable, and efficient operation.
Technical Development Manager
June 24, 2021
The Technical Development Manager leads the Technical Development team of engineers and technicians in the development of future laboratory instruments and improvement of existing products by deploying proven methods of project planning, engineering execution, and talent management.
Primary responsibility is oversight of all new product development projects from concept to commercialization. Involves leading the collaborative effort between interdepartmental teams including manufacturing, marketing & sales, customer service, and IT staff. This position serves as a catalyst to drive creation, development, qualification, and release of new products into existing and new market segments.
This role requires experience with successfully bringing new products to market in a timely fashion. Additionally, possession of strong leadership and communication skills, being able to develop/mentor team members, and engage interdepartmental teams is critical.
This role is a key managerial position within the Savant Group that requires both strategic and tactical leadership of top strategic priorities.
- Effectively leads and manages the activities of the Technical Development team to successfully develop, design, and deliver products according to the project portfolio.
- Manages multiple priorities and competing tasks while making decisions as to priority of tasks and assignment of team members.
- Ensures adherence to engineering and design standards, project schedule, and budget in accordance with established parameters.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, and engaging top talent. Makes recommendations, initiates promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action. Conducts 1:1 discussion, annual performance reviews and salary adjustments. Ensures a pipeline of talent is established for future roles.
- Sets the quality standard for the Technical Development department and ensures processes are followed and technical requirements of engineering designs are met.
- Actively and positively coaches, trains, and mentors the Technical Development team to keep all members working productively toward meeting end goals.
- Develops analytical tools, databases, and workflow procedures for optimal efficiency.
- Maintain a strong technical understanding of company competitive products and industry changes.
- Works closely and constructively with other departments to gain understanding and consensus on the best strategy for each engineering design issue.
- Communicates clearly with the Technical Development team, other departments, and external resources, to facilitate successful completion of projects.
- Prepares staffing plans, anticipates critical path issues, and sets a schedule to meet project deadlines and budgets.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Ability to work outside of core business hours as required.
- Previous experience conducting new product development, preferably precision laboratory instruments or medical equipment.
- 8+ years relevant industry experience.
- Strong leadership skills with previous experience leading R&D/Engineering teams.
- Ability to positively motivate, coach, and manage a team to accomplish goals.
- Strategic thinking – excellent analytical skills, ability to plan, organize, and implement multiple concurrent tasks and projects.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong engineering background and ability to interpret and integrate technical information from all engineering disciplines into functional product designs.
- Ability to think creatively to find best solutions.
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally as part of an established and growing team.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and sense of urgency to accomplish objectives.
- Strong written and verbal communication and effective presentation skills.
- Excellent technical and conceptual skills, displaying attention to detail and accuracy.
- Sound business judgment and ability to handle sensitive information.
- Strong time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience in executing complex problem-solving techniques related to design/technical issues.
- Good working knowledge of CAD/CAM/CAE computer systems, engineering materials, systems engineering, and manufacturing technologies.
- Understanding of ISO 9001 quality system requirements.
- Good understanding of design for six sigma and related statistical tools and validation/verification techniques.
- Degree in an engineering discipline, preferably Mechanical.
- Working full-time
- Computer Usage
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Repetitive Motion/Dexterity
- Use of hand and power tools
- Exposure to chemicals
- Indoor work with environmental controls
- Fast paced environment
- Travel: international and domestic